In its history, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing has occupied a number of buildings. Starting in rooms within the main Treasury Building, the BEP moved operations in 1880 to a specially-constructed building on the corner of Independence Avenue and 14th Street in southwest Washington. In 1914, a new, larger facility on 14th Street, later known as the Main Building, became the home of the BEP. Additional room was provided by an annex built across the street from the Main Building in 1938. Currency printing was expanded to Fort Worth, Texas, in 1990 when the Western Currency Facility began operations.
For further information on this topic, specific questions may be addressed to the Historical Resource Center.
HRC / BEP Papers
The Buildings of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing
An HRC publication containing an overview of the past and current homes of the BEP.
"The Buildings of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing," BEP Communicator, October 2005.
A short article on past and current homes of the BEP.
"The Bureau's Special Train Station," BEP Communicator, March 2002
Looks at the freight depot originally connected to the Annex building.
"Homes of the Money Factory," BEP Communicator, June 1995
Brief look at the buildings of the BEP.
HRC / BEP Books & Articles
History of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, 1862-1962 (Washington, DC: Treasury Department, 1962)
A full-length official history of the BEP.
Department of the Treasury - Office of the Curator - Exhibitions
An online exhibit of the Treasury building's open spaces that includes their past use by the BEP.